A Mississippi firefighter is facing felony embezzlement charges for stealing from the firefighter’s association. Dylan James Hults, is accused of stealing funds from the Ocean Springs Firefighters Association.
Hults, 28, was the association’s treasurer. He was placed on administrative leave from the Ocean Springs Fire Department, and subsequently fired. WLOX quoted Ocean Springs Fire Chief Derek McCoy as saying:
- My purpose as the Chief is to ensure that my personnel are equipped to serve the public mentally and physically.
- We take great pride and work hard to ensure this department fosters a safe and trusting environment.
- We are a team both professionally and personally.
- It is most bothersome for me that this former employee chose to forego the opportunity to ask for help from his OSFD family who trusted and respected him but rather he chose to betray all of us by making a repetitive conscious decision to steal.
- His behavior and apparent lack of judgment does not meet the standards that I, his former co-workers, or this community deserve and will not be tolerated.