The Sacramento Metro Fire Department is facing a lawsuit over a boating accident that occurred in July 2021 on the American River. Madelynn Saecheo, Nai Saechao, Kao Saechao and Nathan King filed suit claiming a fire department boat crashed into a raft they were on, causing them to be injured.
According to the complaint:
- On July 3, 2021, Defendants SACRAMENTO METROPOLITAN FIRE DISTRICT and DOES 11 through 20 were driving a fire department boat in the river at the American River Parkway, near the clay banks, River Bend Park at Gilligan’s Island, in the County of Sacramento, State of California.
- At the same general time and location, Plaintiffs MADELYNN SAECHAO, NAI SAECHAO, KAO SAECHAO and NATHAN KING were floating in a raft … when Defendants SACRAMENTO METROPOLITAN FIRE DISTRICT and DOES 11 through 20 ran them over, thereby causing injury and damages to Plaintiffs.
- With regard to the above-described collision, the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire personnel drove negligently in the course and scope of employment with the SACRAMENTO METROPOLITAN FIRE DISTRICT.
- The negligence caused the above-described collision by failing to slow and divert the direction for stopped raft in their direction and failed to keep a proper and careful look-out for traffic, driving at an unsafe speed for the conditions.
- There may have been other actions and/or omissions constituting negligence on the part of the SACRAMENTO METROPOLITAN FIRE DISTRICT that are not currently known.
The four-count complaint alleges negligence on behalf of each of the four plaintiffs. Here is a copy of the complaint.