Two Kentucky firefighters have filed suit in state court alleging they have been sexually harassed, threatened and abused by a deputy chief. They are suing the department and the chief who they claim is responsible.
George Givens and Michael Killebrew of the Camp Taylor Fire Protection District claim that Deputy Chief Steve Adkins created a hostile work environment by sexually harassing, threatening and physically and mentally abusing them.
The suit was filed yesterday in Jefferson Circuit Court, and includes allegations that Chief Adkins:
- slapped Killebrew in the head, grabbed his fingers causing him to fall, and squeezed his leg hard enough to leave a bruise;
- made numerous sexually inappropriate comments to both men;
- struck both men in the testicles on multiple occasions;
- would “grab himself” and make vulgar comments when ever the men would ask for a lunch break;
- made repeated racists statements to Givens about his wife and her child from a previous relationship. The child is bi-racial.
The department has launched an investigation into the allegations.