Defense Attorney’s Pants Catch Fire During Arson Trial

An attorney defending an accused arsonist had a mishap during his closing argument when his pants caught fire. The YCMTSU incident occurred yesterday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. Attorney Stephen Gutierrez was arguing that his client was innocent because the fire was the result of spontaneous combustion.

Here is the video.

 

About Curt Varone

Curt Varone has over 40 years of fire service experience and 30 as a practicing attorney licensed in both Rhode Island and Maine. His background includes 29 years as a career firefighter in Providence (retiring as a Deputy Assistant Chief), as well as volunteer and paid on call experience. He is the author of two books: Legal Considerations for Fire and Emergency Services, (2006, 2nd ed. 2011, 3rd ed. 2014) and Fire Officer's Legal Handbook (2007), and is a contributing editor for Firehouse Magazine writing the Fire Law column.
  • mr618

    Sounds like something John Grisham or Michael Connolly might have come up with…

x

Check Also

Vancouver Facing $22.5 Million Suit Over Closure Of Night Club For Fire Code Violations

The owners of a Vancouver nightclub are suing the city, its fire chief, and 4 others for $22.5 million claiming they conspired to put it out of business because it catered to Black and Hispanic communities. Adrian Kallimanis and Jose Parra, owners of the now closed Q Nightclub and Lounge, claim racial prejudice led to pretexts, including fire code violations, to put the club out of business.

Wisconsin Fire Chief Resigns Over Lack of Certification

A Wisconsin fire chief has opted to resign rather than take certification classes required by his department. Brian Schmitt, formerly the fire chief in Wilson, is required by town bylaws to take 112 hours of training to meet the minimum requirements.