GE Microwave Linked to Kitchen Fires

Here's an interesting video addressing a products liability concern with GE microwave ovens starting fires even though they are not in use at the time.

About Curt Varone

Curt Varone has over 40 years of fire service experience and 30 as a practicing attorney licensed in both Rhode Island and Maine. His background includes 29 years as a career firefighter in Providence (retiring as a Deputy Assistant Chief), as well as volunteer and paid on call experience. He is the author of two books: Legal Considerations for Fire and Emergency Services, (2006, 2nd ed. 2011, 3rd ed. 2014) and Fire Officer's Legal Handbook (2007), and is a contributing editor for Firehouse Magazine writing the Fire Law column.
  • Do you have any model and/or serial numbers for the GE microwave ovens? Are they built by GE or just branded by them? Any other models affected?

  • Here is a link to the web site listing the serial numbers and models affected.
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08110.html

  • jill zwiebel

    Our Ge Profile microwave caught fire on Christmas Eve 2010! Fumes from transformer(magnatron) fire are horrible!did not shut off fire department had to d take it out as it continued to smoke!defective, it needs to be recalled!faulty defective,dangerous
    Please call me, I was interviewed by news 12 and what happend to us was put on TV. This should be on the news more often!

  • stephanie

    I found this too late. Thankfully we were at home at the time and it was limited to most of the unit itself.   Firemen acted like i was nuts when i said it wasnt on or cooking 

x

Check Also

Florida Court Finds No Gender Discrimination In Promotional Process

A Florida deputy chief who was passed over for promotion to fire chief has lost a sex discrimination suit that claimed the position was awarded to a less qualified male. Deputy Chief Shari Hall claimed that Marion County’s decision to promote another deputy chief was discriminatory because she was far more qualified.

Vancouver Facing $22.5 Million Suit Over Closure Of Night Club For Fire Code Violations

The owners of a Vancouver nightclub are suing the city, its fire chief, and 4 others for $22.5 million claiming they conspired to put it out of business because it catered to Black and Hispanic communities. Adrian Kallimanis and Jose Parra, owners of the now closed Q Nightclub and Lounge, claim racial prejudice led to pretexts, including fire code violations, to put the club out of business.